Hospital Corner, Riccarton Avenue/Oxford Tce/Antigua, is a junction for the north south cycle route Antigua/Rolleston and the east west cycle route Riccarton Avenue/Tuam via Antigua. With the hospital expansion and new Outpatients Services this already busy area will see thousands more cars and pedestrians unloading and crossing.
Otakaro Ltd has proposed that people on bicycles simply share a 4 meter wide bidirectional path and on to a busy 4 way roundabout.
Spokes has been working to get Otakaro, CDHB and CCC to work out alternative designs and routes to make this work for everyone.
See our other post for the full submission from Spokes.
Here are some major points and how you can make a submission for those with limited time.
Link for Otakaro proposal https://www.otakaroltd.co.nz/assets/Projects/ProjectDocuments/Hospital-Corner-Traffic-Network-Change.pdf
Due Monday 14 August
Email your sub to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hospital Corner Submission, Your Full name, email, address, phone.
Indicate if you wish to speak to your submission and if you represent a group.
Some points to make:
• The proposed plan disadvantages the hospital and all road users and will actively impede people on bicycles
• Otakaro, CCC, CDHB and all stakeholder groups be brought together to work out a plan which enables this project to best serve the hospital, central city cycle routes and motorists
• Develop the park path from Riccarton Avenue to Rolleston around the back of the hospital
• As designed a roundabout at the north end of Antigua is unsafe and will impede cycle traffic on these important north/south and east/west routes
• minimize motorized vehicles entering the roundabout to improve traffic flow
• I support the recommendations made by Spokes Canterbury